A few of my customers have come to me this week for help to meet their customers slightly bonkers H&S requirements; to be honest this is quite common place when working for larger companies.
For one of the companies you must:
- Reverse cars into parking spaces (I’ve had it then!)
- Wear PPE at all times (and they mean ALL times)
My tips for managing these types of situations are:
- Expect large clients to have rules that go way beyond HSE requirements.
- Warn your employees (if you have any) that this will be the case,
- Try as far as you can to go along with it, failure to comply is likely to have you kicked off site!
- When planning work ask for Customer requirements, so you can judge what is involved and be prepared.
- Ensure you have your RAMS ready (you can’t argue without them)
- Smile and nod,
- And finally where you absolutely cannot (for the sake of good sense maybe) comply get a bit of H&S advice to back you up.