Welcome to my first blog in what I hope will be the start of a monthly series based on my top ten Health and Safety tips. If you come on this journey with me you will deal with the majority of your hazards and will have gone a long way to creating a fairly robust Health and Safety management system along the way, all without spending a single penny!
So here are my top ten tips; we will look more in-depth at each one over the coming ten months.
Top 10 Health and Safety Tips
- Decide what could cause harm as a result of what you do and decide what precautions you need to take, if you write it down this will be your risk assessment.
- Decide how you will manage Health and Safety within your business and write it down this will be your Health and Safety Policy.
- Display a current Employers Liability Insurance Certificate and the Health and Safety Law Poster
- Provide the appropriate Health and Safety Training for your staff; this should be based on the findings of your risk assessment.
- Ensure you have sufficient competent Health and Safety advice from an employee, an external consultant or a mixture of both.
- Provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water.
- Consult with your staff about matters which may affect their Health and Safety.
- Ensure you know what incidents, accidents and diseases need to be notified to the HSE and set up a procedure for doing so.
- Do not employee Children under school leaving age in an industrial undertaking, except on authorised work experience schemes.
- Notify your local HSE Office or Environmental Health Dept if you start a new business or relocate.
And just to round it up to an entire year; we will add an extra blog to consider what needs doing next.
For help and advice, or for a gossip and a chat (I don’t mind which) contact me – email@example.com