Hello Safety Starts or whoever is reading this blog what I wrote!
This is the sixth of my ten top tips to help you be safety stars!
Sort out your welfare facilities and provide a health working environment
For your employees’ well-being you need to provide:
- toilets and hand basins, with soap and towels or a hand-dryer;
- drinking water;
- a place to store clothing (and somewhere to change if special clothing is worn for work);
- somewhere to take a break and eat meals.
To have a healthy working environment, make sure there is:
- good ventilation – a supply of fresh, clean air drawn from outside or a ventilation system;
- a reasonable working temperature (usually at least 16°C, or 13°C for strenuous work, unless other laws require lower temperatures);
- lighting suitable for the work being carried out;
- enough room space and suitable workstations and seating;
- a clean workplace with appropriate waste containers.
To keep your workplace safe you must:
- properly maintain your premises and work equipment;
- keep floors and traffic routes free from obstruction;
- have windows that can be opened and also cleaned safely;
- make sure that any transparent (e.g. glass) doors or walls are protected or made of safety material.
Pretty simple, and obvious, really! If you need to talk any area through get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org I am genuinely happy to offer email and telephone advice free-of-charge, yes that’s the real free-of-charge not the one that you get an invoice for!